Saturday 9 March 2013

Jody Scheckter's Cowboy Steak

Last year my parents came to visit and at the request of my dad we went to a small farm shop in Hampshire he'd heard about. As it happens this farm and shop is owned by Jody Scheckter, the South African F1 champion with Ferrari in 1979 and notable drive of the Tyrrell P34.

(Tyrrell P34 (wiki)
After retiring he bought Laverstoke Park Farm which he now operates as an organic farm and as well as supplying a butchers in Twickenham and numerous other places, as well as the farm shop. When we went there we ended up buying quite a few cuts for both my and my parents. However, the one that caught my eye was a steak, listed as a Cowboy Steak as i recall, and its huge.


Thats a regular sized tin next to it, and its dwarfed.


I decided not to mess around with this when cooking it. It was seared in a hot pan for a minute or so on each side and then put in the oven to cook through a little more and warm up. I say warm, it was extremely rare when it came out, probably bordering on blue and even like this, it was delicious.


I though i'd do some mash with it, nice and simple and some sauce. There actually about twice as much potato on that plate (which is again, one of my bigger plates) than is visible, but the steak has very much taken over here.

I havent been able to find the steak on their website, i'm not sure its a regular stock item but it does look something like one of their bone-in roasting joints which has been cut down. I could be wrong, but it really doesnt matter, everything is good. Everything we've had from there has gone, and theres a gaping hole int he freezer where it once was. 10/10 would gorge myself again!

Everyone in the local area to Overton, Hampshire should go and see what they have to offer, then buy it before I do. You can also follow them on twitter it seems @Laverstoke, or facebook  DO IT! for the glory of meat.

No comments:

Post a Comment